Thursday, January 24, 2019

The Darkest Night

The Darkest Night

Blessings to all who take the time to read the celebration of my son PFC Gregory James Davis.

On 1/5/2019 I was awaken in the middle of the night by the dog barking and the door bell (nothing good happens at 12:30 at night when you are a parent). I stumbled down the stairs only to notice shinny shoes and blue pants. It's funny what you recollect, but at that moment I knew my life was going to change forever. There were two young soldiers, not much older than my son Greg, who bravely informed me that my son Gregory was in a car accident just six hours earlier. They continued to share limited details but all I could hear was the word FATAL.

Whatever breath I had at that moment left my body and to this day has not fully returned. One by one my children open their doors because all of the commotion and one by one, I could hear the sobs and cries. This just made things worse. After I collected myself I started making phone calls to my daughters Lindsy, Grace and Samantha. With every call and explanation of the limited information I was provided, my heart began to break. We had the pleasure of being surrounded at that moment by close friends who sat with us in my living room until the sun rose in the morning. The sun rose! This was the first day in 19 plus years that I would live without my son.

I will attempt in the coming weeks to share with you my experiences for the purpose of preparing you for the day that you might get a late night knock on the door. Of this I am fully persuaded- God will never leave me or forsake me!

Lessons Learned from The darkest Night

I will never be the same again
My family will never be the same again
I would have been lost without my family that night
I would have been lost without my friends that night
I am very much acquainted with this type of darkness 
The sun rose
My son was raised to meet His Lord 

7 comments:

  1. Sending much love and prayers to you and your family...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart aches for you, thank you for sharing your feelings and being so vulnerable.
    I pray for Gods peace and comfort surround you. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. No words but thank you for sharing as I shared with those at work. May they find light among darkness.
    I continue pray for peace and comfort during this difficult season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart breaks for you all & I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. Your faith in God & the love of everyone around you will certainly help you live each day for Greg. My love and prayers are with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first time hearing about this I was in denial and couldn’t believe it one bit. I was working and I lost my whole train of thought I couldn’t focus on anything else. It all hit me like a truck. I couldn’t bare it at all. I am so terribly sorry for your loss. I remember coming over to your house and watching funny and scary movies with Gregory! He was my best friend I ever had in my life. I’ve known him for 17 years. I love you all. You guys are family to me even if I’m not to you. We were planning on hanging out once he was able to come visit but life just happened. And the weird thing is that I saw this message from him the same day of the accident... it wasn’t much but I was really concerning. To this day I still text him and hope and pray maybe one day that I will get to see him... if there is anything you need please let me know. I know I live kinda far but if you guys need, a person to talk to, money... anything don’t hesitate to ask me! My number is4803304476 if you don’t have it already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. am praying for you and your whole family. I am sorry this comment is late to the process. Still always love & pray for you. - Anna

    ReplyDelete

Take Away

Take Away I think we are familiar with the scripture “the Lord gives, and the Lord takes away, blessed be the name of the Lord”. We ...